Monday, March 21, 2011

Tutorial making a Desk Skirt


Desk Table Skirt Tutorial

Dark espresso furniture mixed with a creamy canvas fabric makes me very happy. We just purchased this desk it was time, I couldn't take looking at the one last piece of oak furniture anymore. We got home assembled our desk and was left with this...

eeeekkkk!

That's not going to work. So I pondered for awhile on how to cover all these wires and not spend to much time and money on it. Here's how I made it.....

You will need:
Craft staple gun
Fabric
Cutting Mat/Rotary cuter

First Step

I measured all three sides of my desk adding a inch to the measurement, be sure to measure from the desk to the floor as well. Then off to Joannes with my 50% off coupon. I decided to go with a creme colored canvas fabric. I thought canvas would work better then a light cotton or linen fabric because it doesn't wrinkle as easily. I bought 2 yards.

Second Step

I cut my fabric to my measurements, then pressed the sides in a 1/4 inch I didn't sew it but you definitely can. I didn't have to hem the bottom it was already sealed from the bolt, does that make sense?

Third Step

Crawl underneath your desk and start stapling, at the top of the fabric I bunched up a little when stapling so it wouldn't hang straight down but flare a little. Staple all the way around and your done. Stand back and admire you handy work.


Enjoy!


Tip Junkie handmade projects

4 comments:

  1. that is a really neat idea. i have a party going on if you'd like to share this. http://typeadecorating.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for partying with us!! this is really a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very neat idea, if you get a chance stop by my blog.
    http://www.newlifeovernight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! I feel like i always have so much stuff under the desk, and this is such a pretty way to hide it all! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete